Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Design Den: How to Refinish a Kitchenette Set

I've been wanting to do something to spice up my college dining room set that now resides in my breakfast nook for a while now. So today I decided that I would take the plug and attempt to refinish it. I ordered this great fabric weeks ago but had no plans for it so I decided to use it for this project. What I found was that this project wasn't hard at all. Below is a tutorial on how you can do a fabulous kitchenette refinish in a matter of hours for under $50 bucks.

 

What you'll need:
  • Staple Gun
  • Fabric
  • Spray paint 
  • Screwdriver


STEP 1: The first step in transforming this kitchenette set from drab to fab was to remove the glass top from the table and seat cushions from the chairs. The glass just slides off easily but I had to unscrew the chair frame from the cushions in order to prepare for painting.
 STEP 2: Next I took both the table and chair frames outside where I spray painted them all with a gold household spray paint. It took 4 cans to coat each piece twice.





 

 

I found this great fabric at House Fabric that worked great for this project. The fabric was kind of pricy but the quality was exceptional and well worth the price. I only needed a yard to cover all four cushions. 



STEP 3: Next I decided on the pattern orientation and I cut the fabric into 4 sections with roughly 3 inches of fabric around the cushion to allow ease of stapling. 

STEP 4: After cutting the fabric, I used the staple gun to adhere the fabric to the cushion. The corners were the most difficult part but I just pulled them as tight as possible and worked my way around until they were covered completely.



STEP 5: After covering all the seat cushions and I screwed them back to the frame and WAALAA a masterpiece!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS